Creative Writing Mentor
Your Personal Writing Coach
"The feedback you give me is more helpful than any feedback I've ever gotten!"
I really enjoy providing one-on-one support to individuals of all writing levels. Customizing my work to fit your needs, we can focus on your draft stage or go into deeper conversations about process and the writing life—addressing issues like procrastination, writer's block, building a business, or sustaining a writing practice.
Always, my feedback aims to be insightful and practical, providing concrete ideas for revision and suggesting further readings to expand and deepen your knowledge and skills.
Having worked for independent publishers and serving as poetry editor at a major literary magazine, I understand how to best present your work to editors to help increase your chances of being published. Together, we will refine and publish your work, and create simple tracking systems to grow your creative business.
Options for private mentorships can include:
- Detailed notes on your work
- Phone conversations with specific ideas for revision
- Suggestions for further reading tailored to where you're are in the process
- Information about local/national writing resources
- Guidance about submitting your work for publication, grad school applications, or writing fellowships, grants, or residencies
For these services and other tailored short-term projects, I charge an affordable hourly rate and payment plans are no problem! Reach out for further details.
- “You are a gifted coach and writer. You’ve given me insight, encouragement, information, tools, revelations, honesty, humor and ideas. I have reached the goal I stated in the beginning of our working together. Thank you!”
- “Melanie Figg has helped me grow my skills as a writer. I admire her ability to review my poems and find the weak lines, a place where I have said more than I need to say, or a work that doesn't quite capture what I want to express. It is a pleasure to work with her."
- “Your feedback on my work were very insightful and a tremendous help to my growth as a writer. I grew more in our time together than I ever would have on my own."
- “Thank you for the reminder to be OK with being messy and imperfect. Having spent so much time deep in the revision process, I'd forgotten the importance of being gentle with myself and the process of generating new work. What kind and generous words you gave us this morning. I'll take them to heart."